Sunday, February 22, 2009

A "Little" Accident

So, last week I got into a little car accident. I was about 10 minutes from home and I was passing by Grapevine Mills Mall. I got into the right lane because I turn at the third light that I come to and the traffic can be pretty heavy through there most of the time. I slowed down to allow the cars in front of me to turn into the gas station there...because they frequently do. Then, we picked up speed because it is 55 mph through there. As soon as we picked up speed, I noticed the cars in front of me were slamming their brakes on and coming to a complete stop, so I had to slam mine on too. I started to slide so I pumped my brakes some thinking that would help, but it didn't. I decided the best thing to do was to hop the curb on the right to make sure that I didn't tap the lady in front of me. I missed her and came to a complete stop. Then, I checked my rearview mirror and noticed two white trucks coming from pretty far behind and they weren't slowing down fast enough. Luckily I was out of the way a little bit so the Ford truck directly behind me was able to stop without hitting me. The boxtruck behind him was not able to stop at all. He rear-ended the Ford truck behind me and then continued to slide into my left rear taillight. He shattered my taillight and slid up the side of my car. As I pulled onto the grass to get out of the way, all I could hear was metal on metal crunching. When the rest of the cars pulled onto the right side of the road to check their damage, we noticed that the boxtruck actually hit all three of us. After rear-ending the guy in the Ford truck behind me and then sliding up the side of my car, he also bumped the lady's bumper in front of me.

It took the police 40 minutes to show up and we ended being there after the accident for over an hour. The police officer said from the looks of it, the guy in the boxtruck will be liable for all of the damage.

I called my doctor's office on Thursday morning to let them know about the accident and they wanted me to come in to check the baby. Everything was fine. I had my seatbelt on and the airbag did not deploy so we were ok.

However, my car is not ok. I just bought this car in November and it's only February. There is quite a bit of damage to it. It may not look so bad in the pictures but in person it looks really bad.



1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm just glad you and Kross are ok, dumb driver!!! And yes, it does look worse in person.