Saturday, June 30, 2012

Let's Be Real

My best friend kind of shocked me the other night with a really sweet text. She told me that I "make motherhood look and seem easy." Bahahahaha! I only wish this was the way things really are...EASY. Not so much. Lately things have been kind of crazy...well, really crazy. Kross has been a little devil and does not listen to anything we say. You tell him not to do something and two seconds later, he's doing exactly what you said not to. Somebody is constantly under my feet - either Kross or the dog. He chases the dog non-stop in circles around me (usually with some sort of toy that he wants to hit her with) while I'm trying to make a bottle or fix the baby some food and I'm rushing to get it finished so Krew will stop crying. I just about fall over him and the dog! I end up raising my voice at him, which I regret later. I threaten with the corner or a spanking. Does.Not.Work.At.ALL! I don't know if Krew is crying because he's tired, teething, or hungry...or all three. This has been pretty much an every day occurence for the past several weeks. And Krew is becoming more mobile and can scoot around and get toys and things on his own, but Kross will go and snatch everything right out of his hands. I know this is only a preview of what's to come.  Imagine a baby that humps the air every time you try to lay him on his back...you cannot put a diaper or clothes on while he is doing this and I don't care how good you think you are, it ain't happening! I fight with this child to get his diaper and clothes on every night.
This is the time out chair
Oh and I would be completely embarrassed if someone were to come over to my house unexpectedly. Let's just say that it's definitely "lived in". I'd like to say that my kids are "making memories" but to me it just looks like a BIG ASS MESS! I let Kross play but eventually it gets out of hand with him dumping every.single.toy on the floor in the living room and his playroom. And guess who gets to pick those up?? Me and Kevin. He will occasionally help, but the trick is to not be too demanding about it. If it's bedtime, forget the picking up because he will procrastinate so he won't have to go to bed. Krew wants to play with him so bad, but Kross just snatches the toys away from him. Krew's idea of playing is chewing on the toys and Kross doesn't like that. He thinks he is going to literally eat them up.

BUT, every single moment is not always crazy. Kross loves to say his prayers at bedtime and it's so sweet to hear him tell God everything that he is thankful for. He also loves to just start singing out of the blue...a made up song about "Today" or "Tomorrow". It's also sweet to hear him playing with his cars and trucks and talking to them as if they are listening to him. It makes you melt when your little boy tells you how pretty he thinks you look! Seeing the smile on Krew's face and hearing his baby "Ga-ga's" will make me forget about why I'm stressed in the first place. He's got a little dimple and those little gapped teeth...so cute! And I love to watch his little eyes get heavy as I rock him and feed him his last bottle for the night (which doesn't happen often for me since Daddy usually gives this bottle). I cherish these moments and they are what makes it ALL.WORTH.IT!

So I told my best friend...A perfect mother I am NOT and I know this. It is not EASY, but I TRY and that's the important thing.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Love this!

The Hideout said...

Apryl,

You are doing a great job as a mommy. I'm sure every mother's home is "lived in" and if it's pristine, then I'm afraid to say they spend more time working on cleaning their home than spending the time with their children.

That's just my opinion though.

Nothing to be ashamed of AT ALL. that's what kids do...tear up the house or we tear it up trying to prepare to go somewhere and things get moved 50 million times. Your boys will have fond memories of you when they are grown from all the times you share with them.