Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Birth Story

I'm going to make this a very SHORT version of Kross's birth. We went in Wednesday night to start "ripening" my cervix. After two doses of this little pill, we pretty much wasted alot of time. They started pitocin at 5:30 a.m. on Thursday. My doctor came in at 7:30 a.m. to break my water, but I was only dilated to a 1.5. It was torture and she decided that I had to get the epidural first because she could not torture me any more. I got the epidural at about 8:45 and my doctor was already back 10 minutes after it was started to break my water. I told her that I was not numb yet, but she said "It's ok, you're tolerating this better than before." I sucked it up and let her break my water. That was the weirdest feeling ever. I progressed very SLOWLY...only got to a 3 in about 4 hours. I was pretty worried after that. Then I went from a 3 to a 6 in 2 hours and from a 6 to a 9 in 1 hr. The great thing about it was that I felt no pain...ever...UNTIL I was at a 9 and I felt the worst pressure in the world. It wasn't unbearable but everyone was telling me that I should not be feeling it like that with the epidural, so I got some more just in time for me to start pushing. The bad thing was that after I got a second little shot in my epidural catheter, I could feel NOTHING! I wanted to have some control, but it was too late! After TWO HOURS of pushing...yes it was the hardest two hours I've ever endured in my whole life...Kross decided to POP his head out...LOL. ALL of it was so worth it when I saw our little guy. He was born at 6:35 p.m. and was 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. He was perfect in every way! I completely fell in love with him the moment I laid eyes on him.

The nurses noticed he was making a little grunting noise when he was breathing so they called in a NICU nurse to come check on him. They were going to take him for 4-6hours to watch him, but that has turned in to 6 days. He is doing well now, but he had a very rough time. It turned out that his lungs were a little underdeveloped since he was only 38 weeks. We were just now able to hold him today. He's being fed through a feeding tube in his nose. Tomorrow they may try a bottle. Kevin and I are doing as well with this as we can. We've been praying and we know that God is healing him.






2 comments:

Katy said...

Look at that sweet boy! Oh my gosh - you were right when you said you got some great pictures. He is sooo handsome. I really think he favors his mommy right now! I cannot wait to get my hands on him. He is in my prayers every night. God is so good and it is wonderful news to hear he is doing better. His Aunt Katy can't wait to meet him!

Lisa said...

Could he look anymore like you? I DONT THINK SO! Gosh I love him so much! I can't wait to hold him. You have been so brave AP, love you 3!