Thursday, February 9, 2012

Potty Training With Boys

True story, people...I couldn't make this stuff up. So we started potty training back at the end of July. He is pretty much potty trained, with the occasional accident. It took about 4-5 months, which is pretty good for boys (from what I've heard)...and everyone said not to potty train him until 3, so we're ahead of the curve! Anyway, back to the story...this girl right here knows nothing about teaching a little boy to go potty, so I did what I thought was right. He sits on the potty (facing the toilet if he's on the big potty and facing away if he's on his little potty...#2 always requires facing away from the potty!), does his business, and then comes the tricky part. Little boys drip or dribble (whichever you prefer to call it), so to prevent drops of pee pee from getting on my bathroom floor or rug, I would dab his you-know-what with toilet paper so it would stop dripping/dribbling/leaking. I knew this was bad because I was basically teaching my son to wipe his you-know-what and my husband was appalled when he found out that both my mom and I were doing this to him. Men do not wipe their you-know-what! So I asked a friend that has boys if she did this and she laughed at me and said NO! Then, I asked his sitter if she did this and she said NO and laughed at me! (As a side note, I did not tell my mom to dab it...she just instinctively did it.) We're both really anal and didn't want little drops of tee tee on the floor or rug. I quit doing this a couple of months ago because I didn't want him to think that men wiped themselves...and the ladies that I asked about it laughed at me. Kross also started to become more independent about going to the potty and would take himself to the bathroom and get his pants back up without requiring help from Momma. BIG BOY!

Today, the sitter calls me and tells me that she told Kross it was time to potty and he told her NO! She said she told him she was cutting the TV off until he went to the bathroom and he played around a little bit and then decided he was ready to go. (Yesterday he bit her because she took him and he was not ready to potty. Yes, I know he's too old to be biting and he got in trouble for it. He does not bite at home.) She sat him on the potty and he went and then told her "I NEED SOME PAPER FOR MY WIENER!!" She said, "Your WHAT??" He said "MY WIENER!" She said "That's your penis, not wiener!" She was more concerned that he was calling it a slang term instead of the anatomically correct term and wanted him to know the correct term. Then, she called me laughing hysterically about the fact that he called it a WIENER. I'm more concerned that he's now asking for TOILET PAPER!

And just so you know, he's clearly not ready to stand up to pee for several reasons: 1. sometimes he can't hit the pot when he sits (I do not know why) 2. he can't reach the pot if he stands because he's not tall enough (he learned this this weekend when he tried and ended up peeing all over the rug in front of the toilet). I will give him an E for effort for at least getting it in the right vicinity. I am on the hunt for a step stool for him, but haven't found one yet.

Happy Thursday! :)

1 comment:

Katy said...

Lol!!!!! Oh my gosh, this so made my Thursday! Haha. Love it. We haven't even started trying to potty train! I am a little scared! Lol.