Ok, this is not a picture post...more of a post for me to go back and see what went on with this pregnancy...just a heads up.
Thursday, Sept 22 marked the first of my weekly appointments. Dr. Files was going to start the weekly non-stress tests (NSTs) at this appt. That's when they hook you up to the monitor to monitor baby's heartrate and your contractions. I was having lots of contractions for the 30 minutes that I was hooked up...about 5 or 6. Dr. Files came in and asked how much water I had had that day and I told her none. She made me chug about three glasses of water and I was still contracting. She contemplated sending me to the hospital and I begged her not to. She said that I would be going tomorrow to be monitored again. Then, she wanted to check my cervix since I was contracting and I was dilated a fingertip. I got a prescription for Procardia, which is a blood pressure medication but it is also used in pregnant women to stop contractions. Dr said Krew is fine and very happy in my tummy.
Friday, Sept 23 I went to the hospital that evening for another NST. I had to wait a full 24 hours from the time she checked me because they were going to do a fetal fibronectin test. This indicates whether or not there is a chance that you will go into labor within the next two weeks. If it's negative, then there is a 95% chance that you will not go into labor. A positive result is less specific and less reliable, but it allows the Dr to take precautions. They couldn't submit the test because there was still blood present from the Dr checking me the day before. However, the on-call Dr wanted me to be checked again to make sure I hadn't dilated any more. Still a fingertip. They went ahead and gave me Procardia in the hospital hoping to slow the contractions, but it didn't work. I was sent home on bed rest for the weekend and told to schedule a follow-up appt with the PA in the office on Monday or Tuesday.
Monday, Sept 26 I went for my follow-up appt and the PA was able to perform the fetal fibronectin test. Results should be in by tomorrow morning. Then, she checked me and I was still a fingertip. I also had another NST and I was still having too many contractions. They increased the dosage of Procardia hoping that helps by this Thursday (my regular weekly appt with my Dr). My Dr also wanted me to be given steroid injections to help mature his lungs just in case he comes early. (Weird...but I asked about steroid injections several weeks back when everything was fine because she mentioned that she would let me go to 39 wks as long as everything remained ok. I guess a mother really does have intuition.)
Tuesday, Sept 27 I am going back for my second steroid shot.
Thursday, Sept 29 I have my weekly appt and another NST. I'm sure she will check my cervix again too.
Friday, Sept 30 I will be 33 weeks.
They want four contractions or less an hour. Hopefully this medicine will help. I am not thrilled about having to take all this medicine while I'm pregnant, but I read that it is used often to stop contractions.
No comments:
Post a Comment